With Spam Preferences, you can specify the following options:
Filter Strength - allows you turn on spam filtering and specify the level of filtering applied to mail marked as spam. Every email received through inbox is evaluated and assigned a point value by an automated filter, based on the message headers and each email's content. If the point total is over a specific value, the email is categorized as spam. The subject, message formatting, and message headers are all examined for "spam-like" features.
- Light Filtering: Light Filtering sets the spam filter to a low sensitivity level. This setting will let through more spam, but is less likely to accidentally identify legitimate email as spam.
- Standard Filtering (Recommended): Standard Filtering sets the spam filter to a high sensitivity level. This setting has a typical 95% to 99% success rate for discriminating between spam and legitimate email. This is the default setting.
- Aggressive Filtering: Aggressive Filtering sets the spam filter to a very high sensitivity level. This setting increases the chances that legitimate email will be classified as spam.
Filter Outcome – sets the action to take when an email message has been identified as spam.
- Delete: This option will automatically delete all email flagged as spam. Emails classified as spam will not be delivered to your inbox and will be irretrievable..
- Deliver: This option delivers all email flagged as spam to your inbox with “*****SPAM*****” added to the start of the subject line. You may sort these messages into another folder and delete them after review. *Tag and Deliver is the default setting.
- Quarantine: This option automatically places all email flagged as spam into a “Junk” folder.
When an email is received from an address placed on the "Always Block list” it is treated as spam, despite anything the spam filter may find. Add email addresses to this list if there are addresses you wish to be certain you never receive email from, no matter how you have configured the spam filter. With Trusted/Blocked Senders lists, you can perform the following actions:
- Add a Trusted Sender by email address or domain
- Block emails by specific sender by adding their email address or you can block emails at the domain level
- In the General section, complete the following:
- Select Light, Standard or Aggressive from the Filter strength drop-down.
- Select Delete, Deliver or Quarantine from the Filter outcome drop-down.
- For trusted Address Books, select the Allow HTML content from contacts in the Address Book checkbox.
- Click Save.
- Enter the full email or domain in the Trusted Senders field and click the Add icon.
Once added, the email will be listed under the Trusted Senders section.
To Add a Blocked Sender:
- Enter the full email or domain in the Blocked Senders field and click the Add icon.
The added email or domain will display under the Blocked Senders list, along with any other blocked entries.
Note: Entries in your block will be handled according to the filtering settings. For example, if you currently have your spam filter set to 'Deliver', all entries in your block list will be automatically be marked as spam, regardless of their spam score, and delivered into your mailbox in the same fashion as other email determined to be spam.
To Remove a Sender from the Trusted or Blocked Sender List:
- Hover over the contact you want to delete and click the Trashcan icon.
- In the Confirmation dialog, click Delete.